sago or sabudana or saggubiyam or savvu is the starch extracted from various palm stem,mainly from sago cycad.Extraction of starch from sago requires special care because of poisonous nature of cycad. The largest supply of sago is from East indies. It has been exported to various countries for cooking purposes. Sago can be taken in different form such as sago pudding,sago pancakesago khichdi,sago upma,sabudana payasam..
sago when soaked in water it doubles its size and forms smooth and spongy texture. It contains major portion as carbohydrates.It reduces our temperature of the body, Because of its cooling nature sago has major importance in Ayurvedam while taking medicines and Antibiotices.
I think this is enough to know about sabudana history,lets get into cooking process of sago khichdi.
- 1cup sabudana soaked for 3-4hours
- 1small cup of peanuts dry roasted
- 1/2tsp mustard seeds
- 1 green chilli
- 6 curry leaves
- 1boiled potato cut into cubes
- 2tsp oil
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan,add oil and mustard seeds,when it splutters add onions fry till golden brown colour.
- now add gree chilli pieces,curry leaves,cut potato cubes fry it.
- take out sabudana from water coat it with peanut powder by mingling with hands.Add this to frying onions add salt,saute it well.
- take into serving plate after a minute.Sabudana khichdi is ready to eat.